Wednesday, September 25, 2013

An excerpt from the Cyclone Life Blog, featuring Ag Studies student Peter!   http://www.cyclonelife.net/2013/09/7-study-tips-for-upcoming-exams/


7 Study Tips For Upcoming Exams!

Hey everyone!
Glad to see you are surviving so far! We are quickly approaching almost a month into classes now, how crazy! That being said that means that first round of exams will be coming up soon. That’s a little bit scary to think about and may make you nervous, especially if I am just now breaking it to you that you will have tests in the next couple weeks! Don’t worry though because I am here to help calm your nerves! I have some tips to help get you through your first round of exams!
1. Change Up Your Study Environment - If you have become accustomed to studying in one certain spot on campus or wherever you like to study, then switch it up! Studies have shown that when you break your routine and study in a new environment you can retain information more effectively!
2. Study Groups - Studying in a group is a great way to reduce the amount of subject matter you would have to go over by yourself. Group work is awesome because one person may know how to do a specific thing well so they can teach you how to do it in a way you’ll remember! Also, you may make new friends!
3. Old/Practice Exams - Some professors will offer old exams or practice exams for you to go over. You should definitely do this so you can get a feel for what the test is like, and so you can break down every question individually and find the answer for it. Really a great way to study if made available for you!
4. Go To Class - Plain and simple. If you go to class then obviously you are probably going to find out some much needed information about your exam. So get to class, pay attention, take notes, and ask questions!
5. Don’t Overload Yourself With Subject Material - Instead of sitting down with one subject and going over every single note and page in the book for hours until you master it isn’t exactly the best form of studying, and it’ll probably leave you exhausted! So try and break up your studying into different subjects. Study a subject for an hour, take a small break, and then study a different subject for an hour. Repeat this process until you’ve got it all down. Plus this way of studying is less boring also!
6. Manage Your Time - I’m sure you have heard this numerous times from your parents and teachers, but I’m a student, so I’m different! Not managing your time can really throw you off, trust me. I’ve been there and done that. Having a deadline for things is great until you miss that deadline! Try and stay organized by getting a calendar or whiteboard where you can write down what you have to do and when it needs to be done by. This really helps me because I can physically cross it off my list and that’s a big confidence booster when you can see you are getting things done. I know you don’t want to hear it but I am going to say it anyways.. Don’t procrastinate! For those of you reading this that know me well are saying “yeah, take your own advice!” I am definitely guilty of procrastinating from time to time, but it’s no fun once you have procrastinated too long! So stay on top of things and you’ll be just fine! Keep track of your exam dates!  
7. GET SLEEP!!! - This one is so important! I know that sometimes it seems impossible to find time to sleep, but too many all-nighters will beat you down in a mean way. That’s a good way to get sick and nobody likes that. Sleep goes with managing time. Try and give yourself time to get at least 6 hours of good sleep a night. Power naps are also a wonderful thing!
There you have it ladies and gentlemen! 7 tips to help you pass your first round of exams, and remember to NOT walk across the zodiac! Good luck on your exams!! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment